Thursday, July 9, 2009

Engagement

People have been asking about how we got engaged so I will indulge you in this wildly romantic tale.
John and I usually take a walk around the neighborhood every afternoon and talk about current events, my current complaints in life, and mock criticisms of the mansions around us. That day in January, I was talking about my dream of going to Europe for weeks on end after graduation, plans for the future, residency, etc. After I'm done yammering, John starts talking in a diplomatic tone of voice, which signals to me something important or vaguely concerning is about to be talked about.

John: It seems to me that we both hope to travel together and live together in the future. Also, it may be a good idea for me to have your parents know me better since we have been together for a while and hope to be together in the future. With that in mind, I would suggest perhaps getting married when you're about to graduate medical school.
Me: You want to get married so my parents will accept us?

The conversation goes on, but basically John argues it's much more than having my parents accept us and I'm slightly skeptical about the timing of getting married. We go back into the house with me saying, "okay let me think about it for a little bit."

And then about two weeks pass. Before you get all hot and bothered with the time lapse, I was in the middle of Internal Medicine and was still trying not to freak out everyday about clinical work, being viewed as a possible gunner or a slacker, and getting a crack's worth of sleep and sun exposure (which consisted of me looking longingly out of the hospital windows and then scurrying away). At the end of the day, I'm with John and say, "You know, you're right. I think we should get married"........and fall dead asleep on the couch.

It's not very romantic, but I love that we get to see each other everyday, we take walks together, and at the end of the day, I can accept a 2 week old proposal.

Next topic: How I pretend not to be interested in an engagement ring



No comments:

Post a Comment